Sunday, July 24, 2011

Tranquilo (Calm)

Things I’ve learned so far:
1. Chileans DO NOT speak real Spanish. They shorten almost every word. They use the first person singular when they actually mean the second person singular. And they have slang words I’m trying to learn, just like any other country/language.
2. When people told me that Chilean’s eat big lunches, they did not do these lunches justice! They are huge and one of the main foods is bread. I have never felt so bad about not finishing a meal as I have at pretty much every meal we’ve had here so far. If you don’t know already I don’t really eat all that much. What can I say, I’m little.
3. Most of the people in my program are from either Colorado or Northern states. I’m the only Texan and they were all incredibly disappointed that I didn’t fit all the stereotypes. Sorry…?
4. Polvo, which you learn in school means dust. It also means sex, so be careful of what context you use it in….awkward.
5. Chileans go out later and stay out longer when partying than Americans do (well for the most part I guess). Some of the siblings in people’s host families didn’t return to their homes until 6 in the morning! It’s crazy, no wonder they eat dinner so late!
6. Americans are terrible at soccer (futbol). We played a game during orientation against the male employees of the hotel we stayed at. Basically it was embarrassing. But since I don’t play I just watched and laughed!

So now a little information about my host family! I live in an apartment in Vina del Mar with my Chilean parents. My parents are Nancy (I know NANCY!!! So white) and Adrian and they are the absolute best host family ever! It’s just the three of us because they are grandparents and their only son lives in an apartment with his daughters on the floor above us. Nancy and Adrian are so patient with my mediocre (at best) Spanish. (side note: Chileans don’t call it Espanol they use the word Castellano to mean Spanish.) And luckily Adrian speaks a little English so I can ask him for words I don’t remember or know in Spanish. In their apartment I have my own room and my own bathroom!! It’s totally awesome (or as the Chileans would say “que bacan!”)
Today Nancy took me to buy a cell phone and show me around. We even took the bus (micro) to Valparaiso! I saw the university I’m supposed to go to but couldn’t go in because all the doors are locked and blocked by furniture because of the strikes. There are also signs all over the schools saying things about not paying for an education and taking action. So I’m still not sure if I’ll be able to take classes there. I might only take classes through the international programs.
Nancy and Adrian are so sweet and keep telling me how Vina del Mar is so “tranquilo” or calm and quiet. The city is bigger than I had imagined but so far I think they’re right. It’s a quiet little beach town. They tell me (in Castellano) to not be nervous that Vina del Mar is very tranquilo and they are here for me if I have any problems of questions. In short I’m loving it here already and it hasn’t even been a whole week yet! Hopefully, I still love it when classes start August 1!!
Besitos,
Gaby

1 comment:

  1. haha i like number 4.
    this all sounds so cool :] i bet you're going to get REALLY good at spanish!
    i hope the people in the program are nice :]
    miss you dearie!

    ReplyDelete