Monday, December 12, 2011

Ciao (Farewell to mi segundo hogar)

I leave tomorrow to go home to Texas. It’s weird saying that because for the past few weeks I’ve been so anxious to leave and see my family and eat American/Mexican food and have normal Christmas-y weather and now that the time has come I wish I had more time here to enjoy the beach and explore the cerros of Valparaíso. But I guess that means that I like it enough here to come back one day. I don’t think I could ever permanently live in Chile but I would love to come back and visit again, maybe next time my family can come with me so I can show them the place I’ve called home for the past 5 months.

Even though I’ve traveled a lot this semester I feel like there is still so much to see and do not just in Chile but also in Latin America. Which makes my future travel plans a bit more complicated since I still want to travel Europe, Asia, and Africa, Australia basically the world. Every time I go somewhere I think to myself “Next time I come I should do this instead of that and I must eat there again” because I like to think that one-day I will be back. In regards to traveling I also found some great quotes to hopefully better explain how I feel about it:

“Travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living”—Miriam Beard

“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all people’s cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.”—Maya Angelou

So after seeing Machu Picchu, visiting Buenos Aires, backpacking across the end of the world and all the smaller travels in between I feel like even though I have beautiful pictures and memories, I learned and experienced so much more than those pictures could ever show.

Next post will be written in TEXAS! I still can’t believe I’m getting on the plane tomorrow night! Soon enough I will be at chickfila and drinking a dr. pepper. It’s the simple things you miss when you’re gone for so long.

Besitos,
Gaby

No comments:

Post a Comment